Final Project

I’m pretty happy with my website. However, I do have a few more things to fine tune. These mainly consist of rephotographing some of the coats. See my site here: http://www.paulmillerwwi.com/Final%20Project.html.

Also, I commented on Kirk’s post: http://knoblej.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/a-little-bit-of-tweaking-as-we-enter-the-home-stretch/comment-page-1/#comment-144

Advertisements

Work Continues on the Site

This week was mainly spent working on my design assignment and beginning my final project. Here’s the link to the design section of my site: http://www.paulmillerwwi.com/Design%20Asgmt.html. Concerning the readings, I felt that “The Lost Museum” website, although an excellent and interesting way to present historical materials, wasn’t very intuitive. I had a difficult time quickly figuring out how to navigate through it and what I was supposed to accomplish. I suppose that’s why there’s a “How to use the Site” tab. I’m not sure it’s good for a site to have such thing though. Isn’t usability important for doing history digitally? I also enjoyed Joshua Brown’s article, which defended the presentation of historical information in formats other than analog, and which are more interesting, usable, and accessible to the vast majority of users. This also touched on the practice of presenting various source materials so users can formulate their own opinions, which I think is awesome.

See my comment on Kirk’s post: http://knoblej.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/before-the-design-a-recap/comment-page-1/#comment-132

Another Photoshop Attempt

This week was mainly spent learning how not to make photoshopped photos look photoshopped.  I think I’m getting pretty good with the rubber stamp/clone tool.  Below is a photo I’m attempting to restore.   First is the original and second is what I’ve done to it thus far (definitely not finished).  Also, in case anyone’s curious, the pic’s of my great, great grandfather (at left) in the Philippines during the insurrection.

Image

Image

Also, I’ve also been wondering what others think about the ethicacy of altering historic photographs, such as we are doing.  I really began to think about this when I inadvertently started to remove (heal) spots of mud splatter from an officer’s uniform who had just come back from the front.

 

In addition, see my comment on Martin’s post:

http://arthistorymatters.typepad.com/my-blog/2014/03/well-its-a-work-in-progress-my-older-version-of-photoshop-seems-to-be-handling-the-task-fairly-well-it-seems-difficult-to.html#comments

My First Photoshop Attempts

Cat and Man Original

I wouldn’t say I was completely successful at cleaning up the man with cat photo, but it was fun. As you may be able to tell, I over-dodged his face (which I tried to correct a bit with the burn tool), and over-healed, over-dodged, and over-burned his right shoulder. I tried to counter my various mistakes by using the others. I didn’t work. I also tried my hand at removing something from a photo (see below). After I cropped the photo, there was another officer partially visible at the main subject’s left side. Because the background did not automatically back fill the area where the individual was removed from, I had to rebuild/replicate it. I did this using the clone stamp tool and then dodging and burning certain areas to remove any of the resulting lines or inconsistencies from using the tool.

US Officer

Also, see my comments on the following posts:

http://knoblej.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/my-preliminary-attempt-at-photoshop-restoration-mistakes-were-made/

http://vasc0.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/do-you-see-what-i-see-i-see-a-dead-bird/comment-page-1/#comment-42